Saturday 2015-01-24 Piano Rehearsal
Wednesday 2015-01-28 Canton Uniting Church 19:30 (note the slightly earlier start). We will be concentrating on the Tippet with the soloists.
Saturday 2015-01-31 Final orchestral rehearsal 1400-1700 St John the Evangelist
We will need the usual working party from about 1300 to set up chairs.
We settled the times for the Piano Rehearsal at Wednesday’s committee meeting and there’s a slight change in start time.
Date and TIme: Saturday January 24 10:15 to 1600
Lunch break of 45 minutes or so from 13:00
Don’t forget that there will be a rehearsal on Saturday, 21 June from 10:00 to 16:00 at Canton Uniting Church. This is where we will add that final polish. All those hairy fugal moments will fade away!
Here are some links to various sites that will enable you to hear performances of the pieces we are rehearsing. I’ve simply done a search in Youtube and chosen some of the top results. I assume that whoever posted the item has the copyright but as we are listening for study purposes that should be all right anyway.
A search for the Messa di Gloria on Youtube reveals about 5170 full or partial performances! I obviously haven’t had time to review them all. Here are some full recordings:
Only about 3000 versions of this!
- A television recording of an arrangement for choir and strings by John Eliot Gardiner
- An audio+scrolling score version by the St Bride’s London Choir
- An audio recording plus “uplifting” slide show by the St John’s College Choir
Only about 2500 versions of this!
About 2500 versions
Here are some links to various sites that will enable you to hear your part and sing along. Cyberbass seems to be the favourite for the tenors but you may well prefer one midi file over another because the “voice” used sounds better/nicer to you.
Most of these sites allow you to download the midi file. You may well then be able to run it on your smart phone and be able to carry it around with you.
- http://www.cyberbass.com/Major_Works/Puccini_G/puccini_messe_di_gloria.htm. Cyberbass is generally reliable and has some good facilities
- http://www.learnchoralmusic.co.uk/Puccini/Messa-di-Gloria/messa-di-gloria.html. The files work well enough for me despite warnings about Windows Media Player
- http://gasilvis.net/ You will need to search for Puccini
- http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Geistliches_Lied,_Op._30_(Johannes_Brahms). Click on the loudspeaker entry in the third item
- http://bit.ly/1jSPfvf. SCoreSe page allowing download of an mp3 or midi version
Unfortunately this is still under copyright so cannot be made available. However, there are performances available online and I will prepare a similar post with links to performances of the works